[meteorite-list] Canyon Diablo & nomenclature...was (Is AmgalaOfficial?/N...

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue May 17 02:41:58 EDT 2005

Jerry, FYI:

"We made camp at Meteor  Crater, one of the many wonders of this wonderland.
It was a huge hole in the  earth over five-hundred feet deep, said to have
been made by a meteor burying  itself there. Seen from the outside the slope was
gradual up to the edges, which  were scalloped and irregular; on the inside
the walls were precipitous. Our camp  was on the windy desert, a long sweeping
range of grass, sloping down, dotted  with cattle, with buttes and mountains in
the distance. Most of my sensations of  the day partook of the nature of woe."

>From Zane Grey's "Tales of Lonely  Trails" (1922)
[not included on the reading list:-)]