[meteorite-list] Kansas Legal Debate: Creation, Evolution and Intelligent...

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri May 13 12:35:44 EDT 2005

Regarding the "new theory of intelligent design"  that has suddenly become
prominent in Kansas (or was it Ohio), JKG's statement,  of the "egg-first school
of thought" whether unintentionally or not, can be  quite consistent with it,
and isn't much different from the Intelligent Design's  principle argument:
"How can such a complex thingy with a function spontaneously  form without
external help".

Saint Augustine, the middle 5th  century philosopher on creation first
recorded in his ideas the "new theory of  intelligent design".  (Saint Thomas
Aquinas in the 1200's added some  additional caveats)  It has been around for a long
time and holds that a  great intelligence planted the seeds and reappeared as
necessary to develop all  life forms.  Eggs, seeds, "simpliest forms", with
the help of Earth, that  were developed into the zoo we have today.  Such a
blanket statement of  "first" is inconsistent with evolution, however, as
evolution holds the question  as irrelevant since mutations can happen during the
reproductive stage creating  the fertilized egg first, or mutations can happen
during development, especially  during earlier stages of cellular
differientiation, or later stages after the  chick breaks out of the egg shell, in which
case the "chicken" can be considered  first (such as altered DNA from incident
solar radiation caused by a major  meteorite impact disrupting the atmosphere).

Luckily, when a theory is  proven irrelevant or unnecessary, it is usually
license to drop it.  So the  generalized "chicken and egg" subject presents no
problems to  evolutionists.

Additionally, Intelligent design is simply not a testable  theory and
therefore is not part of the scientific method.  An untestable  theory which makes no
predictions other than those that are already addressed  without adopting it,
as any experienced PhD student can tell you is not a good  theory to take
stock in.

Which hopefully leads us back to plain  creationism and plain evolutionism as
two schools of philosophy to satisfy  humankind's souls but not to create
dissent and wars...myself, I would be  satisfied to understand the process by
which an ordinary chondrite forms,  hardens and then agregates, forms a
concretion, and once again hardens, over how  time (in modern terms) days depending on
where it travels in the primitive Solar  system and how energy is absorbed and
transferred within  it...
Saludos

En un mensaje con fecha 05/13/2005 10:12:03 AM Mexico  Daylight Time,
h3chondrite at cox.net escribe:
Just my personal belief here, but  I believe it was the egg that came
first.  Life begins in it's simplest  form.
JKG