[meteorite-list] Size of diamonds in meteorites

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Wed May 11 16:22:24 EDT 2005

Hello David, Adam, and List,

I'm sorry for my late response but we are very busy with our
preparations for our family trip to Lake Constance tomorrow.

David Weir kindly wrote:

> Perhaps Bernd could check his
> extensive resources for more info

So here goes:

HILL H.G.M. et al. (1997) Infrared spectroscopy of interstellar nanodiamonds
from the Orgueil meteorite (Meteoritics 32-5, 1997, 713-718, excerpts):

"To date, the only diamonds identified that are almost certainly of extrasolar
origin are those that survive in the matrices of primitive meteorites (Lewis
et al., 1987; Anders and Zinner, 1993; Ott, 1993). Typically 1-3 nm in size
(1 nanometer = one billionth of a meter), they are present in abundances of
up to ca. 1400 ppm ... Meteoritic nanodiamonds, with typical dimensions in
the range of 1-3 nm, are significantly smaller than the diamonds in diamond
powders".

Best wishes,

Bernd