[meteorite-list] Size of diamonds in meteorites

David Weir dgweir at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 15:09:55 EDT 2005

Hey there Adam,

I would also hope for a scientifically definitive answer to this
question. As to the quantity of nanodiamonds in the carbonaceous
chondrites, a search of my site yielded some data for this. Sources give
the abundance in both Colony and Murchison as 1,000 ppm, which is 1 part
in a thousand. This doesn't seem to be very high to me but perhaps this
clumping property is the ultimate answer.

I didn't find this quantity data for any ureilites, but interestingly,
Indarch EH4 contains ~17 ppm of microdiamonds, 1,000 times larger than
nanodiamonds.

Perhaps Bernd could check his extensive resources for more info.

David