[meteorite-list] rare info on bonita springs, fl

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Mon Jan 31 16:44:04 EST 2005

If you would like the best source of information on Bonita Springs, you
should check the Smithsonian files.  I have copied about 700 pages out of
Henderson files and he is very detailed.  He also likely transcribe his
conversations with the finder, as that was his norm.  (Paper records were
very important from the Smithsonian as you never knew who would finish the
deal and they needed to be able to see the history). Henderson was very
detailed. Sometimes going as far as what he ate and the cost break down of
lunch, giving drink and entree prices. This leads me to believe, the weight
and years given in the Weir article are correct. They do not appear to be
guesses, but instead taken from some source.

It is hard to say that your source, giving us a third hand story, would
prove more accurate. Weir's posting, quoting a Newspaper, notes "while
searching for relics". Like I noted even if he was officially working at the
time, I think its fair to say that when he found the burial mound, and
started pulled gold balls out of skeleton mouths, that he had started
searching for relics.

I pretty much ignored the weight the grandchild provided as it was clear
they did not know  Just a guess 50 years after.  Henderson would have had to
submit a report to get his $200 (?)  back. It would be hard to imagine that
he didn't include the weight in that report. Again, this man was very, very
detailed.

Also, the price paid for meteorites, unknown ones, at the time was around
$0.05 a gram.  $200 would be very close to the correct price to pay for a
90lb. stone and would be a very high price to pay for a 30lb. stone.
Nininger was retailing stones around $0.10 a gram at this time.

I can show you orver a dozen Henderson letters were he is complaining about
prices to Nininger. I don't see him upping the ante.

If you are really interested in researching this meteorite, I can try to put
you in contact with my Smithsonian contact. All of Henderson files are there
and on record.  You can likely get a folder labled Bonita Springs.  They are
pretty high in research and copy fees.

Mark