[meteorite-list] NPA 07-04-1939 Scientists Cant Find Washougal Meteorite

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Wed Jan 26 12:03:57 EST 2005

Paper: Nevada State Journal
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Tuesday, July 4, 1939
Page: 1 (of 10)

Explosion Which Rocked Portland Was Meteor, but Scientists Can't Find It

     PORTLAND, Ore., July 3. (UP) - A terrific explosion which rocks
Portland and neighboring cities early Sunday was identified Monday as a
meteor, but definite conclusions may not be drawn for perhaps another year.
     A wide variety of guesses - ranging from belief that a power cache had
exploded to hints of a bombing - narrowed down Monday to eyewitnesses
accounts of a heavenly body streaking across the sky and disappearing to the
northwest.
    Bend, Eugene and Portland accounts of the "fireball" apparently
confirmed the meteor theory.
     Astronomical observers, however, pointed out it might be another year
before the meteor, which apparently exploded in mid-air, could be found.
    The explosion was believed to have taken place fifty miles northeast of
Portland. Residents of Woodland, Wash., said a black cloud was observed
rising out of the Cascades Mountains northeast of the community.

(end)

The “Portland Meteor” is the Washougal meteorite. This meteorite fell July
2, 1939 in Clark County, Washington at 7:35 a.m. A single stone, 225 grams,
is all that was recovered.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.