[meteorite-list] centimeter cubes cont.

Jerry A. Wallace jwal2000 at swbell.net
Fri Feb 18 17:41:01 EST 2005

martinh at isu.edu wrote:

>Anyway, the most surprising thing I have heard when someone sees a cube in person is just how small one is. A cubic centimeter is a tiny measurement.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Martin H.

My gosh, Martin, there's a whole TEN MILLIMETERS  along each side of that
of that there cubic centimeter. Size, like beauty, is in the eye of the
beholder.

So it appears, Martin, that it's all about an individual's sense of
spacial perception
in comparison to a known and familiar object. Since one would be dealing
with a
multitude of individuals on eBay, then one should therefore make
allowances for that?

Pehaps a martian meteorite should be laid next to a Mars Bar for size
comparison.
Maybe the masses would be more comfortable viewing a lunar lying next to a
Moon Pie (at least us southerners could relate to that.) Perhaps the
English amongst
us might have a better sense of size if we used a sugar cube instead of
that dreaded
centimeter cube. Or maybe the Polish could draw a better size comparison
if that
NWA were laid beside a Polish sausage. I could rattle for days on this
but I won't.

Random thoughts on a cold, wet, bleary west Texas day that's fit for
hunting geese
but not meteorites...

Jerry