[meteorite-list] Etching Compounds

VeIocity at aol.com VeIocity at aol.com
Sat Sep 11 19:16:15 EDT 2004

Okay, now I know that I can't procure concentrated nitric acid without being employed by an institution of higher learning---unless I want to lie to the suppliers and tell them I'm a Professor of Inorganic Chemistry at Anthrax University or something.  I'm no good at lying.

So, following somebody's sage advice, I just bopped down to Radio Shack and picked up a pint of etching solution for about five bucks.  Ferric Chloride, but I'm not sure what concentration.  I assume that, even at full strength, FeCl3 requires more reaction time than does Nitrol.  Anybody have experience with FeCl3, or give me an idea of how long I should allow it to react?  BTW, I'm plan to use it on Campo and Canyon Diablo.

VeIocity