[meteorite-list] Meteorite recovery by region

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Thu Nov 4 16:11:00 EST 2004

Hi Jörn and List,

Jörn replied to Matt:

> I don't think there are other areas comparable to North Africa or the
Arabian
> Penninsula with their large plateaus, that are comparably meteorite-rich.

I think the main advantage NWA has (had?) going for it is the huge number of
people searching.  There's really no other comparable location in terms of
manpower -- not Oman, DaG, HaH, Atacama, or Australia and certainly not
Antarctica.

Jörn added:

> Even Australia, which is well searched by meteorite hunters, never yielded
> comparable numbers of meteorites.

Legal exportability may be an extenuating factor here.  Still, it would be
interesting to get some estimates on the number of man-years spent searching
by region.  I expect that no geographic region is even a close second
to NWA.

--Rob