[meteorite-list] Essex, California H5 Meteorite Main Mass

MARK BOSTICK thebigcollector at msn.com
Thu Nov 4 16:12:12 EST 2004

Hello Everybody,

Speaking of main masses, an interesting stone I just received.  Sadly, the
stone was mutilated by the finder.

The Essex, California 3,262g main mass

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colessex.html

The meteorite originally weighed 4,998 grams, which for some strange reason
was originally in the Meteoritical Bulletin before press....then it changed
to 5,000 grams.

This was a very beautiful meteorite that the finder really destroyed.
Breaking one end and cutting up the other end.  Fine thumbprints on two
sides of 3 or 3 1/2 sides, one side is smooth with a little lipping.
Looking over the stone it appears it might have been oriented.  I have only
2/3's of the stone. I had made an offer for it when it was whole but was not
able to secure the stone until recently.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com