[meteorite-list] WG: What is "meteorite awareness" and how does it influence fall statistics?

Jörn Koblitz koblitz at microfab.de
Fri Jun 18 09:35:03 EDT 2004

Dear Mark,

I still think that this awareness (beside market pull and the increase in commercialization) is one important reason for the considerable increase of meteorite recoveries mainly as a result of systematic field search in hot desert areas.

It started with the systematic meteorite recovery and public relation program conducted by Harvey Nininger back in the 1930s (the average annual count of reported finds jumped from about 5 to about 20 meteorites). When Nininger went off "business" this rate fell back to values around 10 during the 1940s and 1950s and again rised to about 20 in the 1960s when lots of stone were found in the Roosevelt area. Unusual low numbers were reported in the 1990s. The number sharply jumped up in the last 6 year when meteorite were recovered on dry lakes in California and Arizona.

The case with the other hot desert areas (Sahara and Arabian Peninsula) is much more dramatic: first systematic field searches were conducted back in 1986 by geologists prospecting for oil fields in Libya (they did organized searched during their free time!) These searches yielded about 60 meteorites (named "Daraj" and are actually from "Hammadah al Hamra" area). Between 1989 and 1993 expeditions to Algeria (mainly Acfer and Tanezrouft areas) were organized and yielded 422 meteorites, for the first time including rare and scientific valuable material (e.g. the El Djouf / Acfer shower producing CR2). Due to the tense political situation and civil war in Algeria, focus of the meteorite hunters changed to Libya where more than 1200 meteorites were recovered between 1995 and 2001. In the late 1990s, DaG and HaH fields were already well grazed and it became more and more difficult to find further meteorites in reasonable time. The solution to this problem was Oman, an ideal recovery area. It yielded more than 1000 meteorites to the present date. The problem with the limited time available for systematic field search by professional meteorite hunters was solved with money poured into Morocco as local people started to conduct systematic search, not only in their own country, but also in Western Sahara and Algeria. All these thousands of meteorites finds are know labelled "Northwest Africa".

A bit different is the situation with Antarctica. First systematic expeditions were conducted by a joined US/Japanese field team in 1974 after first meteorites were recovered in the Yamato Mounains back in 1969. Yamato and later the other blue ice fields around the Transantarctic Mountains (e.g. Allan Hills) yielded thousands of meteorites. This all took place long before systematic field search by private hunters began in the hot desert areas (Australia may be an exception here). Even though these Antarctic expeditions were organized by public institutions, "meteorite awareness" and the soaring interest in meteoritics and demand for scientific interesting material was the driving force for the US/ANSMET and Japanese/JARE programs.

Below is a more refined statistics of finds separated by country or find region.

Jörn
Joern Koblitz
MetBase Editor
The MetBase Library of Meteoritics and Planetary Sciences
Benquestrasse 27
D-28209 Bremen, Germany
phone: +49 421 24 100 24
fax: +49 421 168 2799
email: info at metbase.de

REFINED STATISTICS
TOT= total count (falls + finds)
OF: observed falls only
USA: finds from USA
ANT: finds from Antarctica
SAH: finds from Sahara (North African Counties incl. "Sahara" and "Northwest Africa" meteorites)
OMAN: finds from Oman
REST: all other countries

Year  TOT  OF    USA   ANT   SAH   OMAN  REST
1900	17	8	4	0	0	0	5
1901	10	5	4	0	0	0	1
1902	12	7	1	0	0	0	4
1903	21	7	6	0	0	0	8