[DogParkList] saving log file

KE1B ke1b at richseifert.com
Sat Sep 12 12:14:49 EDT 2020

>> How do people save their log file? Do you save it locally (on your computer) or to a cloud-based system like Dropbox or Box?
>>
>> Mark, W3GN

Similar to others, I use a two-level backup scheme. I have a local, external 2TB hard drive configured as a Time Machine, which automatically backs up EVERYTHING from my internal HD. Then, every six months, I use Disk Utility to clone the Time Machine drive to another 2TB drive, that I keep off-site (the locker at my gym!).

I *NEVER* use cloud services for anything with personally-identifiable-information (PII), such as financial records, etc. And, since I am also an attorney, I never use the cloud to store any client-confidential information. This is primarily because I am a “privacy wonk” (a lot of my legal work is in the area of electronic privacy), and I consider the cloud to be too easy a target for crackers (even with encryption). Of course, I don’t consider my ham logs to be confidential, so it is easily (and publicly) available on Clublog and with the zillion or so contest organizers whose contests I operate in.

Rich KE1B