[DogParkList] saving log file

Dave Wright k3dcw at fastmail.com
Sat Sep 12 10:05:28 EDT 2020

I save mine in the MLDX_Logs folder that is in Documents. This automatically gets uploaded to iCloud as well. I also have a multi-level backup system in place for my entire Mac in case my log (or any other file) gets lost/damaged. It consists of:

- TimeMachine local backup to an external 2TB external drive

- Backblaze cloud-based real-time backup, with versioning for offsite cloud storage.

- An automated backup (using Automator and the calendar) of the Documents folder to a local NAS every 3 days. The NAS is also automatically backed up to cloud storage (B2 Storage) for a few tens of pennies a month. The B2 Storage also includes versioning support, so I can go back to any logbook in the past year, if necessary. This provides local and cloud storage.

- I also do “snapshots” of my B2 Storage every six months, and maintain those online for two years, as a final level of protection.

Is this overkill for a radio logbook? Sure, but it is not just for my logbook. It is for everything in my Documents folder. I have other backup routines for other files as well, most of which consist of the same combination of backup types. I’ve been doing this for years and fortunately, I can’t recall ever having lost a file, even if I deleted it myself out of stupidity.

——
Dave Wright
K3DCW
FM18qt, Maryland, USA