[DogParkList] Questions with MacDoppler and 897

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Tue Jan 19 18:47:16 EST 2010

Hi Jamie,

On 2010-01-19, at 5:54 PM, Jamie Bradshaw wrote:

> I have a Yeasu FT-897D and I just bought MacDoppler to control it for satellite work. I finally found a USB to Serial cable that will work on Macs and I have the radio connected. My first issue is when I have the computer controlling the frequency on the radio, the sound drops out every time the frequency changes. As you can imagine, it makes it nearly impossible to hear anything when listening to FO-29. I have changed the baud rate, but it had no effect.

> Anyone have any ideas?

The problem is that the FT-897 isn't really a satellite radio and momentarily blanks receive when we change the tx and rx frequencies.

http://dogparksoftware.com/MacDoppler.html

"Radios Supported...

A full duplex satellite radio like the TS-2000, FT-847 or IC-910 is recommended to take advantage of MacDoppler's capabilities."

Not using a full duplex radio on FO-29 will prevent you from hearing your own downlink which can make one unpopular rather quickly :)

Sorry Jamie but I don't really know a way of getting around this short of using an FT-847, IC-910, TS-2000 etc.

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro