[DogParkList] Mac Develper Reflector

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Tue Oct 21 11:13:58 EDT 2008

Peter,

Thank you for stepping up! Here are some opinions that I have that may
help you think about the problem.

There are four ways one might get involved here:

1. Provide an add-on to MacLoggerDX that links directly in with the
program and extends the functionality. I believe the opportunities for
this are limited at this time for at least two reasons. The first is
that Don has not constructed MDLX to accommodate these things directly
except through Apple Events. The second reason is that Don is working
hard on a next generation of MLDX and there is little reason to invest
a big effort in the current incarnation. So, in short, this probably
isn't in the cards.

2. Provide an add-on to MLDX that communicates with the MLDX directly
and provides real-time/live functionality. Your program would be a
separate executable and would communicate with MLDX directly through
Apple Events. I've tried this with some marginal success. You can
check out my project FKeyer to see an example.
I confess I was disappointed with how this arrangement worked--but, as
they say, your mileage may vary.

3. Provide an add-on to MLDX that uses the files of MLDX (or that can
be produced by MLDX) to provide user-value. Cab-converter
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cab-converter/
is an example of this approach. I take a file produced by MacLoggerDX
(the exported ADIF file) and provide a mechanism for users to produce
a Cabrillo file for submission to contest sponsors. There are two
different approaches possible here: work on the native MDLX log file
or work with the ADIF file format that can be either produced or
consumed by MLDX. I believe that Don will ultimately change the log
file format for the next generation of the product so I can't
recommend developing add-on software relying on the current format. On
the other hand, the ADIF stuff should be relatively stable and we
should be able to develop to that for some time (IMHO). That's my
guess, anyway.

4. Develop a stand-alone piece of software not related to MacLoggerDX.
Obviously, the sky is the limit here.

Here are some ideas for how to get started. First, and I say this as
somebody who has been programming for 30+ years: programming is hard.
Well, programming badly is easy (and always has been) but programming
well is hard. Further, Cocoa, the preferred native programming
framework for MacOS X development, has a very steep learning curve.
I've looked at it and done some small amount of programming with it,
but have produced nothing I'd like to share with people yet.

There are alternatives... and they are good alternatives! Consider
using something like RealBasic from Real Software.
http://realsoftware.com/
Don't let the name "basic" fool you! This is a full object-oriented
programming environment that is similar to VisualBasic from Microsoft.
You can build robust, rich applications using this tool with a minimum
of fuss. This development environment is not free; the "Personal
Edition" is about $100. I believe it is worth every penny. Cab-
converter, FKeyer, and several other programs I have written have been
developed in RealBasic. This isn't "cheating". You get native
Macintosh MacOS X applications. You can even upgrade your development
environment and ship on Windows and LINUX if you like. This is a first-
rate development environment that lets you get something built quickly
with a minimum of learning curve and fuss. OK. Effusive product pitch
concludes.

IDEAS!

Here are a couple of ideas to consider attacking:

* LoTW --> MLDX. Lots of us have uploaded our QSOs to Logbook of the
World (and that's a Good Thing(tm)). But, once those QSOs are there
and have been confirmed there is no easy way to show those QSLs in
MacLoggerDX. Here's the product idea: build a program that can take a
downloaded report/dump from LoTW and have it update the QSL checkbox
in MacLoggerDX to show these QSOs confirmed by LoTW. (Don't overwrite
the "Y" in the field; perhaps add a second letter like "L" to indicate
the LoTW confirmation.)

* eQSL --> MLDX. This solves the problem above except for eQSL.

* Awards add-on. MLDX tracks basic awards like Worked All States,
DXCC, and so on. But, if you are trying to track DXCC QRP, 5 band
Worked All States (5BWAS), single band DXCC, etc., then MLDX falls
short. There is no easy way in MLDX to track these things. You could
write a program that would read the MLDX log file (or ADIF) and
produce a report, or set of screens, that would help people manage
these award efforts.

I have considered writing all of the above but cannot find the time.
Anyway, I've got plans for rewriting Cab-converter so there is no way
I can get to these ideas. Can you? Can somebody else on the list?

Thanks again for your interest in pitching in on the Macintosh Ham
community software pool. Let me know if you (or anybody else on the
list!) has questions. Good luck and 73!

-- Scott (NE1RD)

On Oct 20, 2008, at 3:54 PM, Peter Van Houten wrote:

> Hello Guys:

> I would love to get my feet wet in Mac Programming but have only a

> little time and no books or mentors to help answer stupid questions

> that all newbees ask. It is rather intimidating to the new programer

> or Ham. If the web site is run with a helpful attitude to all, then

> it will be very successful in producing new programmers for Ham radio.

B. Scott Andersen | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
bsandersen -atsign- mac.com | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, MA (NE1RD) | http://www.bsandersen.com