[DogParkList] Mac Develper Reflector

Peter Van Houten Retina at eyeExpert.com
Mon Oct 20 15:54:28 EDT 2008

Hello Guys:

I would love to get my feet wet in Mac Programming but have only a
little time and no books or mentors to help answer stupid questions
that all newbees ask. It is rather intimidating to the new programer
or Ham. If the web site is run with a helpful attitude to all, then it
will be very successful in producing new programmers for Ham radio.

I do not like the "It's in the manual" answer to my stupid questions
as I have already looked there and the explanation is lacking in
detail or examples. This answer is really designed to cut off further
questions as any programmer is tired of answering stupid questions.
This also cuts off the flow of new ideas however. As users of the
program, we owe it to the writer of the manual and the programmer to
look there first and reference where you looked to find the answer in
the manual but it did not complete the question. This would point out
where the manual is lacking or where the program is being used in a
manner other than the programmer intended. As a newer Ham, I stopped
asking questions and did not interact on the site as I got this kind
of answer from various programmers as my question shows not only a
lack of understanding of how to do things with the program on my part
and showed gaps in my knowledge as a newbee. The new user is learning
the fundamentals of Amateur radio and how to run the program. In this
sense, a great manual is not just a "How to use this" book but also
should contain the assumptions and some of the fundamentals of why "we
do this this way in ham radio". If the web site can provide a
nurturing environment for the new and veteran programmer, then it will
be a success. Some of the solutions to recurrent problems are buried
in the archives of any site. The solutions to recurrent problems need
to be summarized and placed in "educational web pages". The site can
be a kind of a programmers manual that is live and changing.

Count me "IN" and let me know how I can help.

73 Peter
Peter Van Houten
252-758-2617 x210 Voice mail
252-412-8115 cell