[DogParkList] Remote operation with MLDX?

John Graf wa6l at mac.com
Sun Dec 23 15:23:49 EST 2007

Hi, Jonathan,

That is a project that I am working on. I would also like to hear
from other folks that are trying it.

What I have done so far is to use Skype for remote PSK-31. In my
shack, I have the audio in and out connected to my Powerbook. I have
a Skype account that auto-answers (but only my other account).

At the remote site (my work) I have another Skype account. I call my
home computer and the audio comes across pretty well. I then feed it
into Cocoamodem and can run PSK remotely. PSK is particularly easy to
do this way, you don't have to change frequencies remotely.

You do need one additional utility called "Soundflower." This allows
you to route from Skype to Cocoamodem and visa-versa. It is free and
downloadable from the Internet.

The next project is to come up with a remote serial port server so
that I can control MacLoggerDx as well. That would allow me to change
bands and frequencies, and open up SSB as well as other digital modes.
Using Cocoamodem, you would also be able to run CW!

I have found some Unix-based solutions for the remote serial port
server, but they are relatively complex and I haven't figure it out yet.

Of course, you could easily use a remote desktop solution such as
Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop. That way you could run MacLoggerDX
on your home machine. I've tried this, and for me it is just too
slow. But your mileage may vary.

73 and good luck,

John, WA6L