[DogParkList] MLDX Request

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Sun Nov 11 19:36:23 EST 2007

Hi Chip,

On 11-Nov-07, at 6:45 PM, Chip Griffin wrote:

> I'm strongly suspect you misunderstood my premise. I know that there

> is no record #1.

There is a record number 1 - it is the header - but the record numbers
are internal, they do not exist in the file and they are irrelevant.

> Odd to me, but known. I know that the record number is not

> important. When I sort by recordnumber, my preferred sort,

To sort by record number is a mistake since they change every time the
file is rewritten. Most people sort by QSO date and time, but you can
of course sort by any header you like.

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/logpanel.html>

"The Rec# field cannot be edited because it indicates the actual
position of the record in the log file. The Rec#'s will change each
time you delete a record or Update Selected Log Entries."

> there is a very odd method of screen update.

Do you think so ?

> If I sort by date, things behave as they should, except that the log

> is not sorted in the order in which it was produced (the record

> number is always the order in which entries were made to the log).

No, this is incorrect, the log is re-written when you edit or delete
and the record number is not stored in the log.

Again, the record numbers only indicate the record's position in the
file at that moment and the same QSO record will not have the same
record number later.

> What you seem to be saying is that no matter what your inclination,

> disregard the record number.

Exactly, it is only useful to select if you want to delete that
record, or to sort by if you want a total count of records.

As you can see from the log file itself and it's description:

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/logpanel.html>

There are no record numbers in the file. There are 36 tab-delimited
fields on each line and none of them are record number.