[DogParkList] MLDX Request

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Sun Nov 11 18:45:48 EST 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 15:55, Don Agro wrote:

> On 10-Nov-07, at 3:39 PM, Chip Griffin wrote:

>> A thought. I normally keep my log sorted by log number. I've

>> noticed that when I log a contact it shows up at the opposite end

>> of the list and the list moves so that the new entry and the

>> oldest entries are visible, regardless of whether I sort ascending

>> or descending. If I swap to another pane and back then nothing but

>> the oldest entries are visible since the log is still scrolled to

>> that end but now it's resorted the new entry to where it should

>> be. If I click on the column heading then it resorts with all the

>> newest visible either at the bottom or top of the list (opposite

>> of where it was previously). All this is predictable and

>> manageable, but it would be better if the new entry was inserted

>> where it should be in the list and no change in the view was

>> otherwise effected or required.

>> I am using the latest version that I just downloaded today (and

>> was previously using the most recent full release).

> This is covered in the FAQ...

> <http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/faq.html>

> "I have noticed that the record numbers are reversed in the log. In

> other words, my first QSO has been numbered as last number, and

> there is no record number "0001". is this OK ?

> Yes, the first record in the file is the header and of no practical

> use except when editing log.dat in a spread sheet program. The

> record numbers are not important, they are not stored in the file.

> They describe the order of the records in the file, but you can

> display the log sorted by any field. Click on the column header to

> sort by that field, click again to reverse the order. Most commonly

> people sort by the QSO start time. By default the log is arranged

> in order of QSO with the last QSO being added to the end of the

> file. Every time the log is re-written it will be written in the

> order that you have chosen to sort it in. The log is re-written

> when you delete an entry."

I'm strongly suspect you misunderstood my premise. I know that there
is no record #1. Odd to me, but known. I know that the record number
is not important. When I sort by recordnumber, my preferred sort,
there is a very odd method of screen update. If I sort by date,
things behave as they should, except that the log is not sorted in
the order in which it was produced (the record number is always the
order in which entries were made to the log). What you seem to be
saying is that no matter what your inclination, disregard the record
number.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn