[DogParkList] Notes from the skunkworks: Delay ms.

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Mar 15 18:29:07 EDT 2007

I just thought I should expand on something that is in the manual but
keeps cropping up - the Delay parameter in the Radio Preferences.

<http://dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/
preferencespanel.html>

The Delay parameter (measured in milliseconds) is inserted between
each byte sent to the radio to allow radios with slower CPU command
interpreters to not lose their minds :)

Even some of the newer radios require 10 to 30 milliseconds of delay.

Most Icoms work best with 0.

How to tell ?

The default is 33 and that is what most people stick with - but this
does dull the responsiveness of the VFO if you are using the VFO or
Band Panel sliders and some radios won't work with it that high.

Generally the lower the better - right down to 0 - but if your radio
'locks-up' and fails to respond to the sliders you may have to
increase the delay.

If you are using an Icom radio - make sure you turn "Transceive mode"
off in the radio menus or every time you spin the dial on the front
panel of the radio MLDX will lose sync and have to reconnect which
will slow the responsiveness for a few seconds.

Unfortunately RS-232 serial communication is old technology and there
is very little that is "plug-and-play" about it - it needs to be
configured manually.

If in doubt - email me the debug log and I'll have a look.

BTW everything seems to be running fine with the new Mac OS X 10.4.9
update.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g P a r k S o f t w a r e L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com