[DogParkList] mldx keyer project

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Dec 14 12:05:25 EST 2006

Hi Chris,

On 14-Dec-06, at 11:28 AM, EZRhino wrote:

> (Don...how hard would it be to add an audio output to MLDX?)

I don't think it would be very hard but I don't know how desirable it
would be.

> takes the audio output from the computer's speaker output, and

> uses the audio to switch a relay on and off (which goes directly

> to the radio's key jack)

Using the audio to vox a relay seems the long way around to me (but I
may be missing the point)

Isn't it much simpler and more reliable to key the radio directly in
hardware - or use a hardware keyer - or use the Radios built-in keyer
- all of which are supported by MLDX ?

> thus bypassing the whole USB/serial port and cable dilemma.

There really is no dilemma, you can buy a USB/Serial adapter very
cheap these days and make a DTR/RTS keying cable for next to nothing.

http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/interface.html

If you don't want to 'roll your own', microHAM makes interfaces that
include the USB/Serial adapter the radio cabling and the CW DTR/RTS
circuitry...

<http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/USB.html>

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g P a r k S o f t w a r e L t d .