[DogParkList] DarwinPSK fries GarageBand

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:27:17 -0500

On Feb 16, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Tom Dove wrote:

> I'm glad so many of you are trying out the newest version of
> DarwinPSK. I apologize for the lack of documentation, but that will
> come. Meanwhile, it's a Mac application -- play around with it and
> docs become unnecessary ;-)

Immediately after running DarwinPSK Apple's GarageBand ceased to work.

After a reboot I was able to get GarageBand working with the built in
audio but it appears that the PowerWave USB drivers are fried. I can no
longer select the PowerWave from the GarageBand preferences (According
to the GaragBand preferences dialog the PowerWave device is no longer
44.1 and cannot be selected).

GarageBand and JamPack have been working flawlessly up until I ran
DarwinPSK.

A reboot with the PowerWave disconnected did not fix the problem.

We had a similar problem with the PortAudio library in Echomac
corrupting system settings just after Panther came out but Steve Palm
was able to patch the PortAudio Libraries before too much damage was
done.

On Nov 3, 2003, at 11:44 AM, Steven M.Palm wrote:

> The error is, I think, the fact that Panther was allowing the hardware
> to be put into the raw mode of 8-bit audio at an 8K sampling rate. I
> modified the portaudio code to not try to change the raw hardware
> rates any more, but instead always use a software converter. This
> should, hopefully, fix all the issues.

Hope this helps. If anyone figures out how to get GarageBand working
again - let me know :(

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark@mac.com