[DogParkList] Ideas for MacLoggerDX ... 2. QSL options

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj@amsat.org
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:26:39 +0000

MacLoggerDX Idea 2:  QSL options

The current support in MLDX for QSL via your printer, eQSL, address
label printing, and more recently LoTW is great.   Comments are welcome
on whether the following facilities would be useful to people:

a) Additional info set to display on printed QSLs:
	Maybe able to add your location-related and contact details to be
optionally printed on the card such as Grid Square, IOTA ref,
State/County, CQ/ITU Zone number, limited address details, email
address/web page URL, 10-10 number etc. ?   Maybe a free format limited
length text field for anything else wanted on the card would be good
too?

b) Multiple cards printed per page:
	The idea is that four normal sized cards could be printed per one
sheet of Card (US Letter or A4).  This would be used in conjunction
with a way of checking which selection of multiple QSOs in the log
should have QSLs printed for them in a particular batch.  I tend to
deal with QSLs in batches rather than singly - is this true for others
too?

c) Multiple QSOs with same station printed per card:
	The idea here is that if you have worked the same station in your log
on different occasions on different bands, the QSO details for each can
be pulled out and added to one printable QSL card for that station,
thus potentially saving ink, card and postage!   I know a number of the
PC QSL label printing programs around do this from QSLs received.

Some of these ideas involve a fair amount of work and so an alternative
to implementing them for QSL cards would be to extend the labelling
feature already implemented instead - so that QSO details can be
printed per label (as with address labels) which are then stuck on to
pre-already printed cards?

I actually wonder if there isn't a market for a separate QSL card
processor software for Mac which could accept ADIF files from MLDX (or
other software) and allow management / processing of the cards?   I say
Mac particularly not because I love my Macs but because they have such
a reputation for graphics based applications of which QSL is clearly
one in ham radio!

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ