[DogParkList] MacLoggerDX cluster activity

John E Bastin, K8AJS jbastin@sssnet.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:13:16 -0400

At 11:19 -0400 04/23/2002, Don Agro wrote:

>I tested without the 'ping' for several days (v1.1b4) and the
>sessions did indeed timeout.

What's timing out, MLD or the remote server? I haven't had that experience.

>I have re-installed the 10 minute 'ping' in 1.1b5 and the sessions
>stay connected over periods of little or no activity.

Perhaps the cluster node I use doesn't have the timeout function
implemented. He only has half a dozen or so radio users, and several
hundred members connecting via the Internet and his Internet
connection to his ISP is via fiber; maybe he doesn't feel it's
necessary.

>I don't think 1 'ping' every 10 minutes will pose a bandwidth
>problem, but if there are any complaints I can make it an option.

Well, it shouldn't. I guess it comes from my previous experience
working for an ISP; I'm really paranoid about conservation of
bandwidth...:-)

73,

--
   _
  /~\ The ASCII        | J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S