[DogParkList] Grid squares in MacLoggerDX

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:27:08 -0400

on 4/20/02 10:18 AM, John E Bastin, K8AJS at jbastin@sssnet.com wrote:

> Something I've encountered while using MLD:
>
> Perhaps the Grid Square information shouldn't be something that's
> included in the Lookup, or if it is, only look it up from previous
> log entries for the particular station.
>
> Some that I've encountered this morning:
>
> VK9ML on Mellish Reef is actually in QH72wo, but MLD shows QH72vj
>
> LW2DX is in GF05tf instead of the MLD indication of GF05tx.
>
> Just for fun, I entered my own call and found that instead of the
> correct EN90at, MLD thinks I'm in EN82lh.
>
> And Pat, FR5FD on Reunion Island, though being in LG79pb, is
> displayed as LG78sx.
>
> I don't keep track of these things, but VHF operators and others who
> record grid square information for contacts may find this troublesome.

MacLoggerDX uses a variety of methods to determine the Grid Square from a
very rough lookup in the ARRL Operating Guide tables at the one extreme to a
more precise zip-code lookup for U.S. Calls if the zip code can be
determined from the QRZ CD.

If the exact zip-code is known it can be added manually to the edit field -
and then saved to the User Callbook - thereafter if will provide the exact
location for that call on look-up.

Cheers,
Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
  www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com