[Wolfdev-Momentum] Oxa instant degreechugging contiguous fiche mcallister intelligent permutation oath organic vigilante courteous fluid combinatorial datum autistic byers bulk ardent sticky liaison gunky incarcerate iq messrs skipjack apparent birgit spring nominal pander bolo locutor gentle

HeathEdgar reach-PGIZJOOVWISRIV@cuhk.edu.hk
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:30:03 -0300

----3EDA2A343604D538

<head>
<title>consummate l 7</title>
-1">
</head>
y?</p>
    <form name=3D"eavesdropping attrition loophole byproduct cemetery betw=
ixt pleural anamorphic barlow stay arboreal fuchs immunoelectrophoresis of=
fprint clapeyron crept decode agricola shiplap pixel harvey diem=20" metho=
d=3D"get" action=3D"http://uppa.biz/harrypotter.html">
      <input type=3D"submit" name=3D"Subjfmit" value=3D"Get Informed">
    </form>

<form name=3D"Eileen" method=3D"get" action=3D"http://WWW.uppa.biz/rd7.htm=
">
    <input type=3D"submit" name=3D"Submit3" value=3D"ramove me from your l=
ist">
  </form>
ng in classical mechanics (or in the special theory of relativity) to whic=
h I can attribute the different behaviour of bodies considered with respec=
t to the reference-systems K and K'. 1 Newton saw this objection and attem=
pted to invalidate it, but without success. But E. Mach recognised it most=
 clearly of all, and because of this objection he claimed that mechanics m=
ust be placed on a new basis. It can only be got rid of by means of a phys=
ics which is conformable to the general principle of relativity, since the=
 equations of such a theory hold for every body of reference, whatever may=
 be its state of motion.    4=20 ct proportional to it. Under these condit=
ions, the natural laws satisfying the demands of the (special) theory of r=
elativity assume mathematical forms, in which the time co-ordinate plays e=
xactly the same r=F4le as the three space co-ordinates. Formally, these fo=
ur co-ordinates correspond exactly to the three space co-ordinates in Eucl=
idean geometry. It must be clear even to the non-mathematician that, as a =
consequence of this purely formal addition to our knowledge, the theory pe=
rforce gained clearness in no mean measure.    4=20   I am standing in fro=
nt of a gas range. Standing alongside of each other on the range are two p=
ans so much alike that one may be mistaken for the other. Both are half fu=
ll of water. I notice that steam is being emitted continuously from the on=
e pan, but not from the other. I am surprised at this, even if I have neve=
r seen either a gas range or a pan before. But if I now notice a luminous =
something of bluish colour under the first pan but not under the other, I =
cease to be astonished, even if I have never before seen a gas flame. For =
I can only say that this bluish something will cause the emission of the s=
team, or at least possibly it may do so. If, however, I notice the bluish =
something in neither case, and if I observe that the one continuously emit=
s steam whilst the other does not, then I shall remain astonished and diss=
atisfied until I have discovered some circumstance to which I can attribut=
e the different behaviour of the two pans.    3=20</font>
[...]
 the two pans.    3=20   The theory of relativity leads to the same law of=
 motion, without requiring any special hypothesis whatsoever as to the str=
ucture and the behaviour of the electron. We arrived at a similar conclusi=
on in Section XIII in connection with the experiment of Fizeau, the result=
 of which is fore-told by the theory of relativity without the necessity o=
f drawing on hypotheses as to the physical nature of the liquid.    5=20  =
 But this result comes into conflict with the principle of relativity set =
forth in Section V. For, like every other general law of nature, the law o=
f the transmission of light in vacuo must, according to the principle of r=
elativity, be the same for the railway carriage as reference-body as when =
the rails are the body of reference. But, from our above consideration, th=
is would appear to be impossible. If every ray of light is propagated rela=
tive to the embankment with the velocity c, then for this reason it would =
appear that another law of propagation of light must necessarily hold with=
 respect to the carriage=97a result contradictory to the principle of rela=
tivity.    4=20</font>
y a vague notion of the important idea contributed by Minkowski. Without i=
t the general theory of relativity, of which the fundamental ideas are dev=
eloped in the following pages, would perhaps have got no farther than its =
long clothes. Minkowski=92s work is doubtless difficult of access to anyon=
e inexperienced in mathematics, but since it is not necessary to have a ve=
ry exact grasp of this work in order to understand the fundamental ideas o=
f either the special or the general theory of relativity, I shall at prese=
nt leave it here, and shall revert to it only towards the end of Part II.=20=
   We must note carefully that the possibility of this mode of interpretat=
ion rests on the fundamental property of the gravitational field of giving=
 all bodies the same acceleration, or, what comes to the same thing, on th=
e law of the equality of inertial and gravitational mass. If this natural =
law did not exist, the man in the accelerated chest would not be able to i=
nterpret the behaviour of the bodies around him on the supposition of a gr=
avitational field, and he would not be justified on the grounds of experie=
nce in supposing his reference-body to be =93at rest.=94    6=20 TO what e=
xtent is the special theory of relativity supported by experience? This qu=
estion is not easily answered for the reason already mentioned in connecti=
on with the fundamental experiment of Fizeau. The special theory of relati=
vity has crystallised out from the Maxwell-Lorentz theory of electromagnet=
ic phenomena. Thus all facts of experience which support the electromagnet=
ic theory also support the theory of relativity. As being of particular im=
portance, I mention here the fact that the theory of relativity enables us=
 to predict the effects produced on the light reaching us from the fixed s=
tars. These results are obtained in an exceedingly simple manner, and the =
effects indicated, which are due to the relative motion of the earth with =
reference to those fixed stars, are found to be in accord with experience.=
 We refer to the yearly movement of the apparent position of the fixed sta=
rs resulting from the motion of the earth round the sun (aberration), and =
to the influence of the radial components of the relative motions of the f=
ixed stars with respect to the earth on the colour of the light reaching u=
s from them. The latter effect manifests itself in a slight displacement o=
f the spectral lines of the light transmitted to us from a fixed star, as =
compared with the position of the same spectral lines when they are produc=
ed by a terrestrial source of light (Doppler principle). The experimental =
arguments in favour of the Maxwell-Lorentz theory, which are at the same t=
ime arguments in favour of the theory of relativity, are too numerous to b=
e set forth here. In reality they limit the theoretical possibilities to s=
uch an extent, that no other theory than that of Maxwell and Lorentz has b=
een able to hold its own when tested by experience.    1=20</font>
ed has reference to the question whether or not the motion of the earth in=
 space can be made perceptible in terrestrial experiments. We have already=
 remarked in Section V that all attempts of this nature led to a negative =
result. Before the theory of relativity was put forward, it was difficult =
to become reconciled to this negative result, for reasons now to be discus=
sed. The inherited prejudices about time and space did not allow any doubt=
 to arise as to the prime importance of the Galilei transformation for cha=
nging over from one body of reference to another. Now assuming that the Ma=
xwell-Lorentz equations hold for a reference-body K, we then find that the=
y do not hold for a reference-body K' moving uniformly with respect to K, =
if we assume that the relations of the Galileian transformation exist betw=
een the co-ordinates of K and K'. It thus appears that of all Galileian co=
-ordinate systems one (K) corresponding to a particular state of motion is=
 physically unique. This result was interpreted physically by regarding K =
as at rest with respect to a hypothetical =E6ther of space. On the other h=
and, all co-ordinate systems K' moving relatively to K were to be regarded=
 as in motion with respect to the =E6ther. To this motion of K' against th=
e =E6ther (=93=E6ther-drift=94 relative to K') were assigned the more comp=
licated laws which were supposed to hold relative to K'. Strictly speaking=
, such an =E6ther-drift ought also to be assumed relative to the earth, an=
d for a long time the efforts of physicists were devoted to attempts to de=
tect the existence of an =E6ther-drift at the earth=92s surface.    6=20  =
 But no person whose mode of thought is logical can rest satisfied with th=
is condition of things. He asks: =93How does it come that certain referenc=
e-bodies (or their states of motion) are given priority over other referen=
ce-bodies (or their states of motion)? What is the reason for this prefere=
nce? In order to show clearly what I mean by this question, I shall make u=
se of a comparison.    2=20   In one of the most notable of these attempts=
 Michelson devised a method which appears as though it must be decisive. I=
magine two mirrors so arranged on a rigid body that the reflecting surface=
s face each other. A ray of light requires a perfectly definite time T to =
pass from one mirror to the other and back again, if the whole system be a=
t rest with respect to the =E6ther. It is found by calculation, however, t=
hat a slightly different time T' is required for this process, if the body=
, together with the mirrors, be moving relatively to the =E6ther. And yet =
another point: it is shown by calculation that for a given velocity v with=
 reference to the =E6ther, this time T' is different when the body is movi=
ng perpendicularly to the planes of the mirrors from that resulting when t=
he motion is parallel to these planes. Although the estimated difference b=
etween these two times is exceedingly small, Michelson and Morley performe=
d an experiment involving interference in which this difference should hav=
e been clearly detectable. But the experiment gave a negative result=97a f=
act very perplexing to physicists. Lorentz and FitzGerald rescued the theo=
ry from this difficulty by assuming that the motion of the body relative t=
o the =E6ther produces a contraction of the body=20</font>

----3EDA2A343604D538--