[Wolfdev-Momentum] Very general Momentum draft description

Talli Somekh Talli Somekh <talli@museatech.net>
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:19:59 -0500

Hey guys,

Here is my first shot at describing what the Momentum server might be. I am
not qualified to describe what it is technically, so this is more a
discussion of what the goal of the project is and how the community might
approach it's development.

Please let me know if I have my head in my ass, and if so, just how far up
it is.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to post it to the libical list because I don't
know how mature it should be. John, I'll let you be the judge of that
because I've never been on that list.

talli

----
The goal of Momentum is very focused: to develop a free (as in speech)
server that can store and serve icalendar, vcalendar and vcard data. As
John Gray mentioned (and admitted that the analogue might be too tight),
Momentum will be to calendaring and scheduling as Sendmail is to email.

Momentum will take advantage of the two years of development experience and
knowledge gathered in the libical project, a C library to process iCalendar
data.

Momentum will provide a standalone server for calendaring and scheduling
using the protocols defined in RFCs 2445, 2446 and 2447. It will provide an
application to store and manipulate iCal, IMIP and ITIP data that has been
stored in a SQL RDBMS.

Momentum will provide developers with an application that is agnostic as to
its client. Rather than build both a client and a server that are
idiosyncratic in their behavior, Momentum will only provide a server with a
tight and focused API. Many projects in the free software world that have
addressed iCal, vCal or vCard functionality have over-extended themselves
by trying to build both a server and a client. Momentum will not make this
mistake.

Momentum's API will provide developers of client applications the ability
to interface with Momentum either through direct interaction with the API
or by using a higher level scripting language to process iCal, vCal or
vCard data served by Momentum. This flexibility will allow Momentum to be
used either in the context of a client/server model or within a web
application or web service model.
----

Musea Technologies        http://www.museatech.net
talli@museatech.net       70 Washington St
tel: 718 625 6798         Suite 402
fax: 718 625 3991         Brooklyn, NY 11201
AOL IM: tallisomekh       MSN IM: talilee@hotmail.com