[Scons-dev] sconsign database discussion

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Dec 8 14:13:11 EST 2020

oh, one more little bit on this sconsign topic...

The current model of dumping the whole db at the end, replacing the
previous on-disk copy, has what to me seems an odd side effect:

if file modes (permissions) indicate .sconsign.dblite is not writable,
it will still be overwritten (replaced).  To me, that's a little odd,
but evidently intentional; a change I made in PR 3837 tripped over this
because we have a contrived testcase that sets the permissions on the
file to 0o444, and then expects the file will still be replaced.  I'm
not going to just change what's clearly long-standing behavior, just
curious about this expectation.

This is not the same as my earlier question of a database that's been
explicitly opened read-only.