[Scons-dev] bug prune

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Sep 5 06:47:12 EDT 2019

On Tue, 2019-09-03 at 11:44 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> On one hand dropping the number of open bugs will have significant
> appearance/PR  improvements.
> (I've seen comments saying 600+ bugs outstanding the project must not be
> still alive).

I'd say having a lot of open bugs in a project that clearly has regular
commits (as SCons does) could lead to the the thought that the SCons team
doesn't care about submitted issues – rather than being a dead project.

Age of bugs is also a dimension. Bugs open for more than a few years indicate
a "no-one actually cares about this" and so are candidates for closing with
the option of reopening – or better a new bug opening given the difference
between the software now compared to then.

> But dropping 620 of 680 bugs because they're stale, but possibly still
> unresolved issues probably isn't the best.

It depends. Some may just not be relevant any more. Given the rate of change
of SCons code base, any bug report unaddressed in say five years should be
closed.

> Would we tag them stale and close them, allowing them to be identified as
> possibly not resolved, but with no recent activity?

Or delete them in the hope of getting a new bug report if the problem is still
a real one.

> We used to have weekly (ish) bug triage IRC meetings.
> Though to be honest some issues never got addressed because the time
> required to thoroughly investigate them and resolve and the few people
> reporting them dropped their effective priority.
>
> Thoughts?

I was never able to get involved in triaging since the meeting were always
held as a time when I was in bed a sleep.

Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077