[Scons-dev] scons: path-like objects

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Sep 4 13:29:16 EDT 2019

does anyone think it is important to examine scons for support of Python
path-like objects?

path-like object

    An object representing a file system path. A path-like object is
either a str or bytes object representing a path, or an object
implementing the os.PathLike protocol. An object that supports the
os.PathLike protocol can be converted to a str or bytes file system path
by calling the os.fspath() function; os.fsdecode() and os.fsencode() can
be used to guarantee a str or bytes result instead, respectively.
Introduced by PEP 519.

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0519/

I don't know if there's actually anything to do, just curious as I'm
seeing this terminology popping up a lot as support gotten added to the
standard library.  The biggest benefactor is the pathlib module, which
(a) isn't ready for scons while it still needs to support Python 2; and
(b) may never be ready for scons, as it appears to impose quite some
performance penalty in exchange for its cleaner handling of filesystem
paths (which of course scons has to do quite a lot of)