[Scons-dev] bug prune

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Aug 27 08:43:01 EDT 2019

Just to pull some thoughts together:

there are currently 679 open scons issues on github.

That number drops to 92 if you select only ones which have had a
modification since the big migration from tigris. Try this query:

is:issue is:open updated:>=2018-02-10

or as a link:

https://github.com/SCons/scons/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+updated%3A%3E%3D2018-02-10+

I'm a relative newcomer around here, but I don't see the value of
showing a ton of historical bugs that aren't being worked on; the newly
filed ones don't even get a lot of attention - there just isn't a big
scons team at this point and numerically most current contributors have
a specific motivation ("itch to scratch" as it were) rather than the
ability to just generally work on bugs.  To provide more visible focus
there's already been some discussion of a bug prune.

My suggestion is this:

(a) close all open tigris bugs with a message that includes these items:

* bug is now tracked on github [link]
* bugs which have not had activity in 18 months are going to be closed
(it doesn't have to be 18, but that was the cutover time)
* we understand readers of this issue might not see messages from
github, so if you want to keep this issue alive, make a comment - any
comment - on the corresponding github issue.

(b) fire up a bot to mark inactive github issues with a tag, and
configure suitably.  Looks like there's an app in the github marketplace
that is free so setup is just a YAML file. Example setup here:

https://github.com/timgrossmann/InstaPy/commit/afd968dfa1ce1141456a207484d35f2766d5916b

the app:

https://github.com/marketplace/stale

(c) someone scan through the first-time closure proposal list and
manually update any which seem deserving of continued life.

Closed-as-stale issues don't vanish, they are still there to be browsed
as needed...