[Scons-dev] packaging tests: tar; and an xz question

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Thu Sep 6 12:40:24 EDT 2018

On 09/06/2018 09:25 AM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> So it sounds like if there's native windows tar, then there's no need to
> check for bzip2 executable for windows to be able to handle .tar.bz2 files?

no, if there's native windows tar it tries to use bzip2 which doesn't
exist, and the test fails. that's why it never failed before... it never
found tar before.

so rather, I think in this case we do have to check for bzip2 (we don't
now). it's less likely to be missing on Linux, but a quick experiment
shows if I manually get rid of bzip2, tar fails the same way:

# tar -tjf glibc-2.9.tar.bz2
tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2

> If that's the case then the test should be updated to figure out which tar
> and if bzip2 is indeed needed to run skip otherwise.

would a check for bzip2 look like this?

bz2 = test.Environment().WhereIs('bzip2')

looks like "figure out which tar" is not needed, just figure out if
bzip2 is there.