[Scons-dev] should src/engine/SCons/Tool/docbook/util/* be included in the packages?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Oct 8 14:42:06 EDT 2018

Hi Bill,

Am 07.10.2018 um 21:44 schrieb Bill Deegan:
> Are the docbook xslt stylesheets we're currently including reasonably
> available from distro's repos?

I haven't checked yet, but my guess is that some version would be
offered in the major distros. But the problem is then that different
naming schemes would be used and the folder with the stylesheets would
be stored in random locations. This makes it difficult to provide an
out-of-the-box experience with the Docbook Tool.

I saw today that the actual sources of the Docbook XSLT stylesheets are
now hosted on github too! This made me think: Maybe it would be okay to
add another "bootstrapping step" to the Docbook Tool, where it clones
the stylesheets from github to its local folder?

Then we wouldn't have to store all the XSLT files directly in our repo.
Our build/release workflow would get a little more complicated and users
of the Docbook Tool would have to "init" it once on each of their
machines. But maybe it's worth giving it a try?

I could work on a new version of the Docbook Tool that would support
this, if we agree that's the way to go.