[Scons-dev] Should we remove python 3.5 from our CI tests

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sat Jul 21 16:54:16 EDT 2018

While neither windows nor MacOS include SCons, there are defacto package
managers for both:
Windows: Chocolatey - no scons, but multiple python versions
MacOS: macports and homebrew (both include scons and multiple python
versions

Thus far we're not having issues with CI running on 2.7.x, 3.5.x, 3.6.x,
(and now) 3.7.x

For those who haven't been around quite as long, SCons used to support back
to Python 1.5.7 and it took some convincing to get the developers (who
included myself and I was a proponent) to move forward.  I think we moved
first to 2.2, then 2.4, then 2.5, then 2.7.x & 3.5+.

At this point the burden of maintaining our current Python support isn't to
high so no need to start dropping versions of python still in wide usage
and still supported by Python.org..

Mats - As an aside I currently have Coverity running for a client via CI.
(Its either gotten faster or machines have or both, years ago the coverity
build on 3.3M line c/c++ project was 29 hours, and we still ran it via
CI).  Both in their own Coverity builder.

Regardless I think we've covered the bases in this discussion and let's
revisit Jan 2019 to see what makes sense.
The thoughtful discussion is much appreciated!

If we found Python 3.x provided some significant performance advantage that
we could only get by dropping older versions that might be compelling.

-Bill