[Scons-dev] Should we remove python 3.5 from our CI tests

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 07:40:47 EDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 15:57 -0600, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 05/25/2018 03:44 PM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> > We need to test every version we say we support.
> > That's the purpose of the CI...
>
> well, sure.
>
> but Python itself pretty much only supports the last two 3.x versions
> (there may be some emergency bugfixes later than that, if I recall
> the
> most recent release PEP suggested a 5-year sunset even for that which
> would take 3.5 out through 2019).

Which fits with the statement of no change till at least end of 2018.

> And Jonathon:
>
> > No way. Distros (e.g. Debian 9) package Python 3.5.
>
> If the model is "support whatever is supported in active Linux
> distrubtions", that's a valid point. In fact, by that measure, since
> long-term distributions like RHEL7 and Ubuntu 14.04 use 3.4, that
> should
> be on the support/CI list as well.

The distros package SCons and well as Python, so there doesn't seem to
be a problem.

> > Are you going to drop Python 2 support too?
>
> 2.7 is still a supported version, even at python.org.

Not entirely true, there is 2.7.15, but unless there is a 2.7.16 one
cannot claim it is being supported. PSF have basically returned to the
position that Python 2 has gone end of life.

Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077