[Scons-dev] CLion

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Apr 27 05:22:06 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-04-26 at 20:13 +0000, Jay Sistar via Scons-dev wrote:
>  I've recently found myself in the position of SCons evangelism.
>
> The CLion project has very few (less than 200) votes for SCons support. I
> believe that support in CLion would grow the usage of SCons.
> Please vote for SCons to be added to CLion at https://youtrack.jetbrains.com
> /issue/CPP-1102
> Also, since you're all SCons devs, adding a comment about how great SCons is
> couldn't hurt.
> -Jay

CLion is fundamentally a CMake system for C and C++ development. Originally it
used the Make backend, but it is likely that Ninja will be available.

Kotlin/Native uses CLion as it's primary IDE using CMake rather than Gradle as
is used for Kotlin on IntelliJ IDEA. The reason: debugging. CLion is the
JetBrains IDE that will support native code debugging using gdb or lldb.

Rust used to be (and still is but…) an IntelliJ IDEA plugin using Cargo for
builds. With JetBrains taking control of the Rust plugin and Rust being a
native code language needing debugging, CLion became the primary Rust IDE,
though it all still works on IntelliJ IDEA.

Although there is support for Rust builds in CMake, and Meson, the tool is
Cargo and so a way has been found for CLion to work with Cargo. This gives
some hope for D with Dub moving to CLion but for now it is still an IntelliJ
IDEA thing.

JetBrains will not put resource into anything that doesn't make money for them
or is deemed strategic by them with a view to future money making. This is
just sensible business.

The upshot of this is that JetBrains allows people to do what they want in the
way of plugins for their IDEs but only gets directly involved when they see an
income stream by contributing or taking control.

As I understand it, SCons is just not on their radar. Currently. If a group of
people got SCons working in CLion and it then got traction with people who buy
licences, then and only then would they look to make it an official product.

I am not directly associated with JetBrains, but I am a CLion user, know the
CLion team, and have had conversations with them about these sorts of topics.
YouTrack votes for issues such as this SCons one are meaningless to JetBrains
unless numbers get into the many thousands, or someone does something plugin-
wise. The Rust plugin got to the stage with someone doing something that
JetBrains took charge. The D plugin has not reached this stage. Currently
there is no work on SCons plugins, so there is nothing for JetBrains to
consider – a few tens or hundreds of votes do not get the issue above t
he parapet.

Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077