[Scons-dev] SCons for distributed builds?

Akins, Christopher (GE Aviation, Non-GE, US) Christopher.Akins at ge.com
Thu Apr 5 13:25:15 EDT 2018

Hey all,

I work for GE Aviation, engine controls group, tools subgroup. Our application choreographs a lot of steps, from checking out a version of the controller software, to generating reports on its architecture, to simulating the controller handling a simulated engine, to churning out thousands of charts and graphs and binding them all together into immense PDFs for distribution to the FAA.

These are all done using ad-hoc Perl scripts. Run on one core. It's a travesty.

I'm trying to modernize the process, and SCons has come favorably to my attention. Due to the lengthy and memory-intensive simulations, though, it would be useful if we could use the same build system to assign tasks to different nodes in a cluster. I'm willing to sink some time into making the necessary mods myself - for fault-tolerance, retries, etc - but I thought I'd ask if this had come up in the past. If it hasn't, would there be interest in having a distributed feature, or would it be more of a private fork?

Thanks,
Chris Akins