[Scons-dev] Python 3 issue

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jun 26 04:31:16 EDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-06-23 at 10:53 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> This change:
> https://bitbucket.org/bdbaddog/scons-russel-example/commits/48899a710
> f9afbec891307addd6ae5b9c08d53c9?at=master
>
> Will make it work in py2 and py3.
>
> Any reason we can't live with that?

On reflection that probably seems like what I should have written in
the first place!

Python 3 uses absolute imports with the . and .. exceptions. The
absolute_import __future__ makes Python 2 behave the same to give
consistency. Of course this only works if the parent package is
imported. In this context that will always be the case, so it should be
fine.

I can definitely live with this as an idiom.

I am now just embarrassed to have found this problem. :-)

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk