[Scons-dev] MacPorts vs Homebrew on MacOS

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jun 18 14:43:47 EDT 2017

On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 15:13 +0000, Managan, Rob wrote:
> Going from memory here so I may get this slightly wrong.
> On OSX back in those versions I learned that the way the Latex
> installation was done was not in a standard directory but works since
> OSX adds directories to the standard that are in the file
> /etc/paths.d and also in files in /etc/paths/ .  We extended the
> darwin.py initialization routine to add these directories to the ones
> searched. Not sure if Detect uses those but pretty sure exists()
> does.

Sadly, in a sense, but reasonable for reproducibility, SCons appears
not to use /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/* on OSX/macOS to determine the
path to search when actually building. Also Detect and WhereIs seem to
have different algorithms for what the path is. In the end there is a
hardwired path for execution of build rules. I understand this for
reproducibility across different machines but it means Macports is
discriminated against and Homebrew is discriminated for.

For this and other reasons, I am about to ditch MacPorts and embrace
Homebrew. This will make testing SCons D stuff on OSX/macOS a lot
easier.

I think I am just muttering aloud on email now really. :-)

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk