[Scons-dev] SCons performance investigations

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jul 28 07:07:58 EDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-07-27 at 19:50 +0000, Jason Kenny wrote:
[…]

> I was talking to the Conan team myself in e-mail. They seem to love SCons
> over other options, but thought everyone one is moving to Meson and Cmake. I
> think they would be fine with more SCons support, but will need help as
> "most" customers are not SCons.

I would guess most customers are using Make or Autotools, with some using
CMake (with Make or Ninja), and a very few using Meson. In my book Meson
should replace all Autotools and CMake usage, but since when did technical
merit ever matter. :-)

I recollect Conan is a Python implemented system, assuming they have an API,
it should be easy to connect SCons in – easier than connecting Dub for D
builds. I can certainly volunteer some time on this but not really till
September.

[…]
> Git fetch is what you want. However I don't get why we keep binding
> bitbucket to hg and github to git. Parts is using git on bitbucket for
> example and there are many other great git hosting sites ( like gitlab ,
> etc. I personally would not mind moving to git. I don't think that means
> moving from bitbucket.

If GitHub had Mercurial, life would be much easier. More of the CI support
works with GitHub, very little with GitLab and BitBucket. Thus there is the
self fulfilling prophesy that GitHub is the place to be because GitHub is the
place to be for tooling.

It is very disappointing that Atlassian seems to be using the public BitBucket
solely to sell BitBucket, JIRA, Confluence, rather than trying to compete with
GitHub.

I am a reconstituted Mercurial fan, but if SCons switches Mercurial → Git
*and* moves to GitHub, I can vote for that. I see no point in switching to Git
and staying on BitBucket.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk