[Scons-dev] I have a pull request Parts I think we might want to sync with SCons

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Sat Feb 25 12:01:34 EST 2017

Hi

I think the patch has been updated to a pattern that can be applied to tools in general.

I don’t think I answered you question yesterday well below. So let me try again.

The idea to move the link action to a var that can be easy to override is an idea I agree with. I think we need to update all the tools ( SCons and Parts) to do this.

Allowing the user to do this is a great idea, however, it is very advance. Advance in that most users doesn't know what all the _XXX stuff does special value like _concat. I have found that when you can allow the users a common pattern to do common things, it greatly reduces the complexity and make it easier for people to want to use the tool. From my experience, it is a common pattern for people to want or need to do this addition of items to the end. I tend to want to keep full action replacement to advance unique special cases as when the user tends to do this it is more likely the something will break or not work as expected in the future.

If any of the core SCon dev have any thought I would greatly appreciate it. I should note get this to work correctly we need to tweak the scanner, which is a reason why I tend to find that full user overrides as suggested can have unwanted side effects.

Jason