[Scons-dev] Py3/Py2 port progress and issue

Dirk Baechle tshortik at gmx.de
Tue Feb 21 03:18:28 EST 2017

Hi there,

I agree with Tim, rebuilds when switching from Py2 to Py3 and back are perfectly fine in my opinion. We just have to document it properly, and warn the users in advance (release notes ).
Or would it be possible to track the version of the last used interpreter in the ".sconsign" database? Then, we could also inform the user at runtime...

Am 21. Februar 2017 01:00:39 MEZ schrieb Tim Jenness <tjenness at lsst.org>:
>This is great news.
>
>I’d think that switching py2 with py3 scons within a single build tree
>is going to be fairly rare and can be documented as part of the 3.0
>release.
>
>>Tim Jenness
>
>> On Feb 20, 2017, at 16:49, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm making fairly good headway on this but I think I've found
>something which may be hard to work around.
>>
>> When creating the action signature in some cases it will use pickle
>to serialize the object.
>> (Functions, class instances,etc)
>> In those cases the pickled contents are different between python 2
>and python3.
>> This means that any build swapping between 2 and 3 would likely run
>into extraneous actions (builders) being run. (When in fact nothing has
>changed)
>>
>> Additionally I found one assumption in the code to create signatures
>from functions which is not correct. (That the first item in list of
>constants is always the docstring, it is not if there is no docstring).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Clearly the py3/2 version of SCons will be a major version release
>(3.0).
>>

>> -Bill

Sent from my Android with K-9 Mail.