[Scons-dev] Py3/Py2 port progress and issue

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Mon Feb 20 18:49:54 EST 2017

Greetings,

I'm making fairly good headway on this but I think I've found something
which may be hard to work around.

When creating the action signature in some cases it will use pickle to
serialize the object.
(Functions, class instances,etc)
In those cases the pickled contents are different between python 2 and
python3.
This means that any build swapping between 2 and 3 would likely run into
extraneous actions (builders) being run. (When in fact nothing has changed)

Additionally I found one assumption in the code to create signatures from
functions which is not correct. (That the first item in list of constants
is always the docstring, it is not if there is no docstring).

Thoughts?
Clearly the py3/2 version of SCons will be a major version release (3.0).