[Scons-dev] Problematic conflicts between C/C++ and D

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Aug 28 05:17:10 EDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 09:56 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Don't avoid TARGET..
>
> Here's where it's defined:
> src/engine/SCons//Tool/cc.py:    env['SHOBJSUFFIX'] = '.os'
> src/engine/SCons//Tool/cxx.py:    env['SHOBJSUFFIX'] = '.os'
>
> Will setting the SHOBJSUFFIX in the relevant D tools do the trick?

The problem is that the setting is global in the default tool set so it
being set to .os in cc and cxx affects all the global default tool set.
If I set this is the dmd, ldc, and gdc tools to .o then it breaks the
cc and cxx tools. Been there, tried this, removed the experiment.

The default tools share a single namespace of environment variables and
this is the problem if the tools disagree on anything. In this case the
majority has to win so the dmd and ldc tools are just going to have to
remain broken in the default toolset. :-(

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk