[Scons-dev] tools and testing

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Apr 18 23:13:53 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 09:24 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Unitesting is there to make sure that no unintention breakage occurs.
> I'm not willing to take a major piece of code into SCons core without
> tests.
>
> That would violate SCons's practices.

Excellent position, I have no problems with that. For tools I think the
end-to-end tests are essential, and the SCons test framework very
usable.

The question is though that if the _Library type is not exposed is
there actually a test obligation if all the publicly exposed things
(the builders) are exercised by end-to-end tests.

Having said this I am still working on a test for fetching a package
from a local area and installing on a local area so it fits in the test
framework, but it doesn't really emulate what happens in a real case,
so it is not clear to me what is actually being tested, and whether the
test is actually useful. My worry is that such a test simply tests
whether Dub does what it says it does, which is nothing to do with
SCons and the dub tool per se.

On the other hand there are now function in the dub tool that could use
a bit of testing for confidence sake. I am trying to work out how best
to do that with an end to end perspective.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk