[Scons-dev] Documentation

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Apr 18 04:26:10 EDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-04-17 at 08:24 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Can you share your work in progress on bitbucket?

The experimental repository is at https://github.com/russel/SCons_D_Exp
eriment
Even though SCons is a Mercurial world, the D world is a Git/GitHub
one. Given that Atlassian have turned BitBucket into a Git place to
compete with GitHub, I could push it to BitBucket as well, but I am not
sure the dilution would achieve anything.

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 2:06 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2017-04-16 at 11:19 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> > > Not sure what you mean.. Can you explain?
> >
> > For the dub tool, I believe I need a target node that is not a
> > SCons.Node.FS.File nor a SCons.Node.FS.Dir, but the builder
> > infrastructure is demanding that this be the case. I thus wanted to
> > create a _Library class that was a sub-class of SCons.Node.FS.File
> > but
> > with all the rest of the information carried as well. (I may be
> > going
> > up totally the wrong tree, but this is learning by hacking, seeking
> > feedback.) So I was looking for documentation to find out how to
> > call
> > the superclass initialiser, i.e. SCons.Node.FS.File.__init__.

In the end I created a Subclass of SCons.Node.FS.File focussing on
representing the library archive created, but carrying lots of other
knowledge. I eventually settled on calling the superclass constructor
at the end of the subclass constructor (don't you just love Python :-)
thus:

SCons.Node.FS.File.__init__(self, name, env.Dir(location), self)

but I am really not sure that last argument is right. It works but it
doesn't feel right. However there is no documentation on the fs
parameter that I can find. I think maybe I am just not looking hard
enough.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk