[Scons-dev] Documentation

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Apr 17 05:06:43 EDT 2017

On Sun, 2017-04-16 at 11:19 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Not sure what you mean.. Can you explain?

For the dub tool, I believe I need a target node that is not a
SCons.Node.FS.File nor a SCons.Node.FS.Dir, but the builder
infrastructure is demanding that this be the case. I thus wanted to
create a _Library class that was a sub-class of SCons.Node.FS.File but
with all the rest of the information carried as well. (I may be going
up totally the wrong tree, but this is learning by hacking, seeking
feedback.) So I was looking for documentation to find out how to call
the superclass initialiser, i.e. SCons.Node.FS.File.__init__.

|> PYTHONPATH=$HOME/Repositories/Mercurial/Forks/SCons/src/engine
python
Python 2.7.13 (default, Feb 21 2017, 12:00:39)
[GCC 7.0.1 20170219 (Red Hat 7.0.1-0.9)] on linux2
>>> from SCons.Builder import Builder
>>> help(Builder)

Help on function Builder in module SCons.Builder:

Builder(**kw)
    A factory for builder objects.

>>> help(Builder.__init__)

Help on method-wrapper object:

__init__ = class method-wrapper(object)
 |  Methods defined here:
 |
 |  __call__(...)
 |      x.__call__(...) <==> x(...)
 |
 |  __cmp__(...)
 |      x.__cmp__(y) <==> cmp(x,y)
 |
 |  __getattribute__(...)
 |      x.__getattribute__('name') <==> x.name
 |
 |  __hash__(...)
 |      x.__hash__() <==> hash(x)
 |
 |  __repr__(...)
 |      x.__repr__() <==> repr(x)
 |
 |  -------------------------------------------------------------------
---
 |  Data descriptors defined here:
 |
 |  __objclass__
 |
 |  __self__

Not entirely helpful. So rather than reading the manual RTFM (the user
manually doesn't go into enough detail, the man page doesn't really
discuss this stuff. Sadly reading the code RTFC (or source RTFS) isn't
really that enlightening.

So I started blundering around and have come up with something that
sort of work, but I get the feeling it is not good SCons. However I am
finding it difficult to enter into the world of custom builders beyond
the trivial stuff I hacked up from wiki pages a few years back.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk