[Scons-dev] Help needed on command string

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 06:04:38 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 12:47 -0700, Bill Deegan wrote:
> D tools are doing nothing wrong.
> The same thing would happen with any compiler.

Phew. :-)

Good to know, thanks. I'll ditch what I was assembling as an error test
case.

However, even though the VariantBuild stuff is working as those who
know how it works, is it the way it should be?

I believe that D is bringing a new use case to the table, one that
disturbs the SCons model.

With the C++ codes that used to have a SCons build (sorry but I had to
switch them to CMake and Meson :-) I never had a problem with the
variant_dir in the SConscript call. It worked as I expected. It turns
out though that my mental model may not have been matching the reality.

I am not sure I full understand Bill's fix for my ApproxGC SCons build,
but it looks ungainly. The new problem is that the same file has to be
compiled in two different ways, one for the application and once for
the tests. C, C++, Fortran do not have this situation. CMake and Meson
do not have a problem with this because they decouple each target, the
build rules for each target are totally separate. Also CMake and Meson
distinguish targets and variants, i.e. the release, debu, etc. variant
is totally separate from how to build the targets. SCons tends to merge
these by using the Variants for everything.

I am assuming that the history of SCons working with C, C++, Fortran
means that the variant systems has never had to deal with two builds of
the same file as "configurations" rather than "variants". Is there
something that needs addressing here?

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk