[Scons-dev] D support, not sure what to do

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Apr 8 10:01:31 EDT 2017

It just struck me that one of SCons bigger problems is the "feeling"
out there that dependency configuration is hard with SCons. Meson has a
very similar system in many ways, but it feels lighter weight and
easier to use.

Also building configuration files. Again SCons can do it, but Meson
makes it feel easier. The CMake way of using template source definitely
feels wrong in 2017. Direct construction and writing feels right.

The use of Meson to configure a Ninja build and then use Ninja has a
huge win (as does CMake with Make or Ninja) that you have your build
directory somewhere else and can have multiple different builds without
ever having anything change in the source directory. The way of
handling the variations seems an awful lot simpler than the SCons way
which is still rooted in build in the source directory architecture.

The only IDE support for SCons I know is SConsolidator in Eclipse
sitting on CDT.
Has anyone got something working for IntelliJ IDEA, or CLion. CLion is
currently CMake with Make backend focused, however the pressure built
and they will soon support Ninja.

I was turned from ed/ex/vi to Emacs sometime in the 1984 to 1986
timeframe. Emacs is the one true editor, there is no editor other than
Emacs. However the JetBrains IDEs have turned me into an IDE fan.
Eclipse never turned me away from Emacs. I now hardly use Emacs other
than for LaTeX and Asciidoc files. The D support in the nascent
DLanguage plugin to IntelliJ IDEA is based on Dub.

Well I use the Emacs keybindings in the JetBrains IDE editors
obviously.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk