[Scons-dev] D support, not sure what to do

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Apr 8 09:12:00 EDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 14:52 -0400, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Russel,
>
> I had to google a bunch of things below.

Sorry it was stream consciousness writing rushed before I had to go do
something.

> Basically, if I understand correctly, your question is should SCons
> support
> downloading and building packages (registered or not with some
> central
> repo) for various languages?
>
> Is that the gist?

Yes.

Currently SCons can, though somewhat awkwardly, check for natively
installed dependencies. But with Conan (for C++), Rust and D there is
the central source repository of interesting stuff that can be
downloaded and compiled to create the dependency.

Given everyone working with Rust uses Cargo, there is no case for SCons
to get involved with. But with C++ and D being core languages for SCons
there is an issue to address for SCons to stay relevant in the
C++/Conan and D/Dub contexts.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk